In case you missed it, there have been devastating wildfires spreading across Fort McMurray in Alberta, Canada since May 3. Here are some of the latest updates:
- About 88,000 people had to evacuate
- About 2,400 buildings have burned, mostly houses
- It may be a couple more weeks until it’s safe for people to return to the area
How you can help:
- Donate an item here for families who have lost everything and are in need of basic supplies like socks, underwear, baby items, and tolietries. All items will be delivered directly to the Edmonton Emergency Relief Services Society, who is helping to lead support efforts on the ground.
- Spread the word! Even though a lot of the media attention has decreased, the fire is expected to burn for a couple more months and communities need ongoing support.
- Stay tuned for more information about how you can help with long term solutions like rebuilding and rehousing.